SAINT MARY'S ACADEMY
Padre Ramon Street, Dipolog City
Telephone: (065)212-2262

 
 
 

 

 SAINT MARY'S ACADEMY HISTORY
 Founded in 1892 -The oldest school in Mindanao
 

 

St. Mary's Academy is a Catholic School run by the Sisters of the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) dedicated to the education of the youth of Dipolog City and the surrounding municipalities of Zamboanga del Norte. It dates back to 1892 when the Sisters then known as Beatas de la Compaņa de Jesus began their Catechetical apostolate which was an extension of their apostolate in Dapitan. The erection of the Parish called for an establishment of a school. The Sisters were then made to administer the parochial of the Parish Priest. The Cartilla and 3'R's were taught together with the Christian Doctrine, Good Manners and Vocational Skills. This system of education was practiced until after the American system was established.

 
Main Facade

When World War broke out, the school's operation was interrupted. It was resumed in 1945 under the name of Saint Mary's Academy in honor of Mary, the Mother of God. In 1946, it held its first elementary and high school graduation. Government Recognition was given in 1948 and 1953 respectively. In the school year 1972-1973, however due to small enrollment, the elementary department ceased its operation. St. Mary's Academy took turn in its history when in school year 1982-1983, it opened its doors boys. Simultaneous with the acceptance of boys in first year and second year, it restored the Kindergarten Course due to parent's demands for a continuous education for their children. Because of the parent's request, the Administration worked for the re-opening of the elementary department. In June 1986, the Grade I class was opened. Each school year, a class would be opened until the whole department was restored.

August 5, 1983 became a milestone in the history of St. Mary's Academy when a 4-storey building was constructed to accommodate the existing classes in high school, offices and other facilities like the laboratory and library. It was blessed on April 7, 1984.

In 1991-1992, with a concerted effort and cooperation of both the Administration and parent's organization, improvement of the school's physical plant was made possible simultaneous with the construction of the Basketball Court which was finish in October 1992.

In October 1992, St. Mary's Academy celebrated a pre-centennial event high lighting a cultural show participated by the Alumni, parents, benefactors, teachers and students of the institution.

This was staged in preparation for the culminating activity of the Centennial celebration in December 1992.

The administration with the support of the parents, teachers and students continue to improve St. Mary's Academy. Improvement of the fence around the campus was realized on April 1993 with the construction of the comfort rooms and repair of the school canteen. The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes was constructed near stage.

In November of 1994, through the efforts of the parents' organization (PACSMA) in cooperation with the faculty and staff, the painting of the concrete building built in 1983 was undertaken. A waiting shed was also constructed near the gate.

On March 4, 1996, the newly constructed covered walk connecting the main building to the elementary building was blessed by Msgr. Steve Gaudicos, V.G. Cementing of the grounds along the side of the basketball court was done simultaneously with the concrete flower boxes along the elementary building and concrete picnic tables under the trees.

On April 4, 1999, the Cebedo Construction Company began the construction of the new school building. Building Permit was issued by the City Engineering Office on April 27, 1999.
 

School Canteen
 

On May 12, 2000, the second phase of the four-storey building was blessed by Most Rev. Jose Manguiran, this includes the renovated old four-storey building.

In April 2001, a Covered Pathway (right wing of the building) was constructed through the effort of the Parents Advisory Council of St. Mary's Academy (PACSMA).

Last December 30, 2001, SAM ALUMNI GRAND ASSEMBLY was made in preparation fro school's celebration of 110th FOUNDATION DAY this coming May 2002.

In February 2002, a new Covered Pathway (left wing of the building) and newly installed Internet Research Center were blesses by Msgr. E. Socias, V.G.

Saint Mary's Academy, faithful to the Marian and Ignacian Tradition, continues its mission of Helping the Students grow in their awareness and sensitivity, readiness, courage and determination of serving God and others.

St. Mary's Academy today best exemplifies and institution with co-education in all its programs and commendable standard of education, aimed at the total formation of the whole person.

SMA HISTORY PAGE  1    2
 
1. ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE PUBLIC LIBRARY
 
 
 

 
1.
LIST OF ALL PHILIPPINE TERTIARY SCHOOLS
2. WORLDS UNIVERSITY
 

 
 

City of Dipolog : Orchid City of the Philippines 
PROVINCE OF ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE
www.dipologcity.com  www.dipologcity.net  www.dipologcity.org  www.dipolog.org  Keyword: dipolog