Saint Vincent’s College was founded on June l7, 1917.
Incorporated on June 20, 1917, and finally organized on July 20,
1917. First called the Dipolog Parochial School, it has always
been a non-stock,
non-profit corporation with the following Jesuit priests as
respective incorporators and officers of the school
administration: Rev. Fr. Francisco Garcia, Rev. Fr. Manuel
Valles, Rev. Fr. Eliseo Gil, Rev. Fr. Hobac, and Rev. Fr.
In 1932, Fr. Eduardo Aniceto, the new director
reorganized everything to cope with the standards prescribed by
the Secretary of Education, working for a government recognition
to operate a complete elementary school. The seventh grade was
added to the general intermediate course on May 31, 1938.
The community worked for the establishment of a catholic
high school that would train and prepare the youth for academic,
moral and spiritual responsibilities. Fr. Benigno Dagani, S.J. a
Filipino priest together with the Board of Directors, asked help
from the Bishop, Msgr. Luis del Rosario, S.J., D.D. for the
establishment of a catholic high school. The institution was
named Saint Vincent’s School, in honor of St. Vincent Ferrer,
the second Patron Saint of the town. In order to give equity to
young girls of Dipolog, the girls’ department was established.
The headship of the school was taken over by a new director,
Rev. Fr. Pio J. Saavedra.
In 1947, Rev. Fr. Engracio S. Rivera, a clergy, was
appointed director. He gave the school motto, “Induamor Arma
Lucis” meaning “Let us clad ourselves with the armor of
light”. The college level was established with the end in view
of raising the academic standards. Permit was granted to open
first year of Junior Normal College Course, first year pre-law,
and first year Education Course on June 18,1947. It
became Saint Vincent’s College on February 28, 1950.
The school endured financial difficulties from 1952 to
1960. In the summer of 1960, a 37-year-old priest from Sevilla
Bohol arrived. The new director, Rev. Fr. Constancio P. Mesiona
graduated Magna Cum Laude for his Seminary course and for his
Masters at the San Jose Seminary, Manila, before going to Spain
to take up his Doctorate of Canon Law at the Universidad
Pontifica de comillas in Santander.
In 1963 a separate Accounting
Office was created. Each department became independent from the
other departments. Gonzales type buildings(which are still
existing) were built one after another, replacing old
structures. Moreover, qualified teachers were hired to teach
their major field of
specialization, books and laboratory equipment were purchased.
Musical instruments were acquired to equip the newly organized
Saint Vincent’s College Orchestra, probably the best in
Mindanao at the time.
In 1967 Bishop Felix Zafra assumed as Bishop of Dipolog
and as the President of St. Vincent’s College. He served in
that capacity until his transfer to Bohol in 1987.
During the seventies, Saint Vincent’s College grew more
proud, academically, culturally and religiously. More courses
were offered and recognized. On July 2, 1975 the Master of Arts
in Education (M.A.) as well as the Master in Business
Administration (MBA) were recognized. The MATEA
as well as the opening of the second year of BS in
Kindergarten were given permit on May 22, 1978.
The school continued to reap honors and prestige not only
locally but also nationally through its students who excelled in
the different fields of competition, and to the many graduates
who shone and excelled in their chosen profession. Fr. Mesiona
built more buildings to accommodate the growing student
population. The present Administration Building was built from
his retirement pay. During his term the Bachelor of Science in
Accountancy, Doctor of Educational Management (EMD) and Master
of Public Administration (MPA) were recognized.
Upon the demise of Fr. Mesiona on April 3, 1995 at the
age of 72 after serving the institution for 35 years, Bishop
Jose R. Manguiran, the incumbent President took over the reins
as its Director. On June, 1996 Fr. Beda B. Belotindos was
appointed to act as Director for three years. By June, 1999, a
new structure was adopted with the appointment of three Vice
Presidents, namely: Rev. Fr. Bienvenido E. Hamoy, VP for
Finance; Dr. Alfreda B. Calamba, VP for Administration; and Dr.
Jose M. Baloria, Jr. VP for Academics and secretary. Rev. Fr.
Greg B. Canonigo and Dr. Gaudiosa M. Ochotorena, Seminary
Director and Dean of Graduate Schools, respectively completes
the Board of Trustees.
In keeping abreast with the computer era the school
opened the courses of Bachelor of Science in Computer
Engineering and Bachelor of Science in Electronics and
Communication Engineering on May 22,2000.
The present administration created the Office of Alumni
Affairs chaired by Mrs. Bebita H. Esparaguera who initiated the
revival of the alumni association, which has lain dormant since
1964. A group of dedicated alumni headed by Atty. Uldarico B.
Mejorada and retired Judge Juanito A. Bernad who was
subsequently elected President and Vice President, respectively,
drafted the constitution and By-laws of the Saint Vincent’s
College Alumni Association, Inc. It was ratified in a plebiscite
called for the purpose on August 20, 2000.
October 1, 2000 the officers, directors and members in
attendance were inducted into office in a fitting ceremony held
at the new ‘Millennium Building”.